That’s right…it is hockey playoff time! My two favorite teams, Anaheim and Nashville, are battling for the Western Conference Championship with the winner leading us to the Stanley Cup Finals. I feel like a dirty mistress as I am rooting for Nashville even though Anaheim has been my steady partner for years now.
Needing a healthy, quick, easy meal that may be eaten in front of the television without mess for game nights, here is my Face-Off Chicken Salad solution…
- 1-2 cups chicken chopped or shredded
- 1/2 head of purple cabbage chopped
- 2 orange bell peppers diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4-1/2 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- dried basil, dried dill, dill seed to taste (about 1-2 teaspoons each)
- salt and pepper to taste (seasonal salt is great here)
- add olive oil to a cooking pan and cook chicken, seasoning it with salt as it cooks.
- once chicken is cooked thoroughly, remove it from the pan and save the drippings in the pan; chop up the chicken and add it to the salad bowl.
- roughly chop purple cabbage into strips and add it to the pan with the remaining oil; cook until it’s slightly wilted then remove cabbage from the heat and dump the cabbage with all the juice into the salad bowl.
- dice the orange bell pepper and avocado and add them to the salad bowl.
- add the sprouts, dried basil, dried dill, dill seeds, and crumbled feta cheese to the salad mix.
- season with pepper and a bit more salt (if needed) and a bit more olive oil (if needed).
- toss and serve.